Even if your divorce was x-amount of years ago, it’s hard not to feel depressed or lonely when inescapable advertisements and Christmas jingles praise the concepts of “family,” “love,” and “togetherness.” To spite corporate scheming, you’ve probably been skipping holiday radio songs and avoiding the local mall since late October.
Unfortunately, processing your divorce is a complicated experience that requires time and patience. Some people rebound quickly, while others require a little more time to recover. In fact, you can feel completely normal for most of the year when those troublesome holiday emotions suddenly hit you like a freight train. You may roll your eyes at Mariah Carey’s “All I Want for Christmas” at 9 a.m. and then start sobbing uncontrollably when the same song plays again an hour later. Emotions are completely unpredictable, and, sadly, there aren’t enough Christmas cookies in the world to smother nostalgia.
To help you get through this difficult holiday season, the Florida divorce attorneys at The Virga Law Firm, P.A. have compiled these 10 helpful tips:
- Forget about the past and re-invent your holiday traditions to reflect your emotional needs
- Plan your holiday season in advance (make sure to fill it with new experiences and the people you love)
- Don’t rely on alcohol, food, or shopping to improve for your feelings
- Budget your money and remember that you can’t buy love or loyalty
- Reign in your expectations and focus on present possibilities
- Avoid any drama relating to your ex and your divorce
- Don’t be afraid to take a vacation and spend the holiday season in an exciting, unfamiliar place
- If you have children, focus on creating experiences they will never forget
- Schedule relaxing “me time”
- Above all else, be patient with yourself
You need to stay positive and proactive if you want to chase away the holiday blues. The best way to skate through December is to stay busy, spend time with your loved ones, and enjoy new experiences. Before you know it, you’ll be sliding straight into January with new traditions and happy memories.
Schedule a Consultation Today
If you’re preparing to file for divorce, contact the Florida divorce lawyers at The Virga Law Firm, P.A. We can guide you through each step of the divorce process and help you negotiate a beneficial divorce settlement agreement. As a firm, our priority is to make sure our clients are legally, financially, and emotionally prepared for the next stage of their lives.
Contact The Virga Law Firm, P.A. at (800) 822-5170 to schedule a consultation. We provide 24/7 legal services.