Defending Your Peace of Mind Name Changes

Supportive Counsel You Can Rely On

Name Changes in Panama City Beach

The Virga Law Firm, P.A. Is Here to Help You Start Over

There are multiple reasons for an individual to want to change their name. While this process is not necessarily difficult, it can become much more complicated without the assistance of an experienced lawyer. If you are considering legally changing your name, the first thing you will need to do is undergo a criminal background check, along with having your fingerprints documented.

When submitting a petition to change your name in Florida, you are required to provide the following information:

  • Proof of residency in the county where the petition is filed
  • Birthplace and date of birth
  • Father’s name and mother’s maiden name
  • Previous bankruptcy information
  • Previous residences
  • Previous criminal records

The state of Florida reserves the right to deny name changes. Denial may occur if the court suspects the petitioner possesses an illegal motive for changing their name. This is why it is important to hire quality legal counsel before beginning the name change process. Contact our Panama City Beach name change attorneys at The Virga Law Firm, P.A., and take the first step towards beginning your new life today.

Our firm is available at (800) 822-5170. We accept calls 24/7.

Reasons to Change Your Name

People often want to change their name for reasons such as marriage, divorce, personal preference, or for the safety and well-being of their child. While there is no one reason for changing your name, all name change petitions can be valid so long as you have proper documentation and the right lawyer.

Contact The Virga Law Firm, P.A. for legal assistance with:

  • Marriage Name Change: Marriage is an extremely common reason for an individual to change their name. You may use your marriage license to make an official name change request. If this request is approved, it will then be applied to pertinent documentation, such as your Social Security Card and driver’s license.
  • Divorce Name Change: It is also extremely common for an individual to revert back to their maiden name after a divorce. Fortunately, this process is fairly simple. You may use your divorce petition to file a request for a name change, and once the petition is approved, the court will legally allow you to make an official name change at the DMV and Social Security offices.
  • Personal Preference Name Change: To apply for a name change because of personal preference, you will need to supply proper information, as well as an official application. Once this application is reviewed and either approved or denied by the court, your lawyer will be able to assist you with what comes next. If the petition is approved, you can contact appropriate offices for documentation containing your new name. If it is not approved, you should review your case with a seasoned name change attorney. Individuals may choose to undergo personal name changes based on a number of factors, ranging from safety reasons to gender identity.
  • Child Name Change: Occasionally, a parent may want to request a name change for their child. This process is a bit more difficult than an average name change. Florida allows whole families to change their name if it can be established this change is in the best interest of the child/children. As with any name change you must submit proper documentation to the court when petitioning. In cases where a single parent wishes to change the family name, the court will then notify the child’s other biological parent as well before a ruling is made.

Contact Our Panama City Beach Lawyers Now

There’s no reason in the United States of America for you not to have exactly the name you want. While legally changing your name can be stressful, the proper attorney will be able to handle it for you quickly and efficiently. For Panama City Beach name change lawyers with over 100 years of experience, contact The Virga Law Firm, P.A. Our compassionate and tenacious team will guide you through every step of this process, helping you fill out the correct documents, file all relevant pipework, and generally streamline the legal work involved in receiving your new identity.

Begin your name change process now! Dial (800) 822-5170 to schedule a consultation, or click here to send us a message online.

  • “I will definitely be recommending to anyone I know that needs a child custody or divorce attorney!” - A Divorce Client
  • “If you are looking for an attorney who is professional, honest, knowledgeable and responsive to your needs, Gerard Virga meets such requirements.” - A Divorce Client
  • “He responded to my messages promptly and I never felt rushed when speaking with him in meetings and phone conversations.” - A Divorce Client
man and child hugging

Our Firm Gets Results

More Reasons to Hire Us:
  • Committed to Aggressive Representation
  • Same-Day Scheduling Available
  • 6 Locations Throughout Florida
  • Over 100 Years of Collective Experience