Defending Your Peace of Mind Name Change

Orlando Name Change Attorneys

Virga Law Firm, P.A. Family Law Name Change Case Attorneys

The name change lawyers in our Orlando office are often called upon to assist our family law clients with name change cases. Our firm has experience representing families in all the various types of name change cases available under Florida law.

Florida law grants name changes in the following circumstances:

  • Name change connected to a divorce proceeding
  • Name changes for minor children
  • Name changes for adults not connected to a divorce proceeding

Name Change Connected to a Divorce Proceeding

In most divorce cases, it is common that one of the parties wishes to restore their last name to their maiden name. In these circumstances, our Orlando name change attorneys will simply alert the court of your requested name change in the divorce petition. When a final judgment is entered in your divorce proceeding, it will contain the appropriate language restoring your name.

Name Change of a Minor Child

Sometimes parents desire to change the name of their child. Our name change lawyers in Orlando, FL have experience handling cases in which a parent has petitioned the court to change the name of their child. The court is being asked to change the name of a minor child. As in all family law cases, the court will use the best interests of the child as a standard in determining whether to legally change a minor child's name. Our Orlando name change attorneys will be able to assist you in navigating this statutory standard to ensure the name change is correctly and efficiently pursued on your behalf.

Name Change of an Adult Unrelated to Divorce

Name changes unrelated to divorce or a minor child are a separate legal proceeding and require some preparation. For instance, name changes in Florida require a background check and fingerprint card being completed by law enforcement prior to filing for the name change. These will be filed along with a petition asking the court to change your name.

The petition for name change will include the following information about yourself:

  • Date and place of birth
  • Mother's maiden name
  • Father's full name
  • Proof of residency in the State of Florida and the County in which you filed your name change case
  • Any previous name changes
  • Your occupation, place of employment and previous employment
  • Previous bankruptcy cases you have filed
  • Any previous criminal history you may have
  • A statement that the name change is being done for lawful purposes

The family law attorneys at The Virga Law Firm's Orlando office can assist you with your name change. No matter the reasoning for pursuing the change, if you are in need of an experienced attorney to help you navigate the legal system, call our office today and schedule your consultation.

  • “I will definitely be recommending to anyone I know that needs a child custody or divorce attorney!” - A Divorce Client
  • “If you are looking for an attorney who is professional, honest, knowledgeable and responsive to your needs, Gerard Virga meets such requirements.” - A Divorce Client
  • “He responded to my messages promptly and I never felt rushed when speaking with him in meetings and phone conversations.” - A Divorce Client
man and child hugging

Our Firm Gets Results

More Reasons to Hire Us:
  • Committed to Aggressive Representation
  • Same-Day Scheduling Available
  • 6 Locations Throughout Florida
  • Over 100 Years of Collective Experience