When you work with The Virga Law Firm, P.A., you will receive the compassionate legal support and well-versed counsel you need to effectively get through your divorce.
An aerial drone view of The Virga Law Firm zooms into candid footage of the attorneys and staff outside and inside the law firm.
At our Orlando family law firm, we understand that during this overwhelming time, you likely have questions and concerns. Our Orlando divorce attorneys will provide the sound legal counsel you are seeking, as well as the information you need to understand your options and make well-informed decisions.
Are you faced with a divorce, child custody, or other family law matter in Orlando? If so, then you are facing what could be one of the most challenging and stressful times in your life. This is why we are here—to guide you toward resolutions that are in your best interests and the best interests of your children.
When you work with The Virga Law Firm, our family lawyers will ensure that you remain well-informed about your rights and legal options so that you can move forward with confidence.
Divorce is not a simple process. Even in cases where both parties want a divorce and are willing to work together, there are too many moving parts to attempt the process without professional counsel. You need an Orlando divorce lawyer at your side, either to guide you through an uncontested divorce or to fight for your interests in divorce litigation.
What Does a Divorce Involve?
At The Virga Law Firm, P.A., we have the tools to help clients tackle a wide variety of legal disputes. Our practice areas include:
- Divorce – Whether you're a high net worth individual concerned about your assets or you're a military member or veteran, our firm can help you approach the divorce process with confidence. We can provide you with support and care while you tackle your divorce, no matter how contentious it is, helping you you settle your case out of court or aggressively pursue your interests in the courtroom.
- Child Custody – Child custody battles are often the most stressful part of the divorce process. We'll be a relentless advocate for your parental rights, helping you understand the best way to approach your child custody case, the difference between physical and legal custody, and what kind of time-share you should seek with your ex. If possible, we'll work with you to reach a mutually beneficial arrangement. If that's not possible, then we'll fight for your child's best interests in the courtroom.
- Mediation – Not everyone wants to leave the outcome of their divorce case to the court. If you're interested in reaching an agreement with your spouse, we're here to supply you with the mediation services you need.
- Alimony (Spousal Support) – Our lawyers are here for you whether you're requesting spousal support from a soon-to-be-ex or acting as the payor in the alimony arrangement. We'll help you determine what sort of alimony arrangement would be equitable given your circumstances, and pursue it in the courtroom.
- Property Division – During a divorce, many individuals are concerned that their ex will seize certain assets or make off with the lion's share of valuable property. Our attorneys can help you determine the value of your property and what sort of distribution arrangement you can expect from the court. A favorable judgment in a property division case can dictate your financial stability for years to come—you deserve a lawyer who will take your case seriously.
- Enforcement and Modifications of Court Orders – Frequently, circumstances change post-divorce. Whether your ex is shirking their responsibilities or you need a new type of order that more accurately reflects your current conditions, we're here to help. We'll work with you to file for the enforcement or modification of court orders and help you regain control of your case.
- Pre- and Postnuptial Agreements – A prenuptial or postnuptial agreement can help you ensure your marriage is fair and equitable to both parties. Whether you want to secure your business or protect your spouse from a risky investment, we'll work with your partner's attorney to develop a mutually beneficial prenup or postnuptial agreement.
- Domestic Violence – If you're suffering from domestic violence, we can help you pursue a restraining order and gain the protection you need. Alternatively, if you're wrongfully accused of abuse, you need an attorney who will help you fight domestic violence charges.
- Criminal Defense (Additional Practice Area) – Our firm also has experience helping clients navigate a variety of criminal charges, such as Driving Under the Influence (DUI), theft, violent crimes, and white collar crimes. The outcome of your criminal defense case could seriously impact your future, so don't settle for a mediocre attorney. We'll fight aggressively for your rights in and out of the courtroom.
We understand that legal disputes can be incredibly stressful and challenging to handle. Our attorneys have more than eight decades of combined experience helping Orlando residents navigate different types of legal matters, including those listed above.
Requirements to File for Divorce in Orlando
Before filing for divorce in Orlando, you must meet the residency requirement – one of the parties must have lived in the state for the past six (6) months.
You do not need any predetermined reason to file for divorce in Orlando except that your marriage is "irretrievably broken." Other common reasons for divorce include abandonment, abuse, impotence, and/or mental incapacitation, but these are not legally recognized grounds for divorce.
How to File for Divorce in Orlando, FL
The first step in the divorce process is to fill out the divorce paperwork and file it with the court in Orlando, preferably with the guidance of an Orlando divorce attorney. To do so, you will need to pick up a "dissolution of marriage" packet from the court clerk or purchase the forms on the Florida Courts website. Once you have completed the forms, you must file the forms with the Family Court and pay the fee, at which time they will be reviewed and notarized.
Where to File: Orlando Family Court Information
- Address: 425 N. Orange Ave., Suite 320, Orlando, FL 32801
- Phone: (407) 836-2000
- Hours of Operation (Subject to Change): 7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
What Happens After You File for Divorce?
Once you've filed your divorce papers at the Orlando family court, the process becomes more complicated. Make sure you have an Orlando divorce attorney representing you at this time, even if your case is uncontested, to ensure no mistakes are made and the process is as quick and smooth as possible.
After you file your divorce papers, the divorce process in Orlando will include:
- Discovery - After filing or responding to divorce papers, a financial affidavit must be filed within 45 days and mandatory disclosures must be provided to the other party, such as proof of income, retirement accounts, and tax returns. It is vital to have a skilled divorce lawyer during discovery, both to protect your assets and to ensure that the other party is providing accurate information.
- Mediation - Most divorces are required to go through mediation first, to see if the contested areas of the divorce can be resolved without going to court.
- Parenting Plans - If you have children, then you will need to work out an official parenting plan in alignment with Florida law. This plan must be approved by a judge based on the child's best interests. If you cannot agree on a parenting plan, then the court will make the final custody decision.
- Division of Property & Debts - In uncontested cases, division of marital property can be decided between the parties and outlined in their divorce agreement. In contested cases, a judge will decide how your property, assets, and debts will be divided based on Florida's equitable distribution laws.
- Trial - Finally, if your divorce is contested and cannot be resolved through collaborative law or mediation, then you will have to go to court. This can be a long, drawn-out process depending on how contested your divorce is, but a good divorce attorney can prevent your case from dragging on, saving you time, money, and stress.
Contact The Virga Law Firm, P.A. immediately if you need a divorce lawyer in Orlando, FL. Our team of attorneys is known for their excellence and experience in all types of divorce, whether it can be resolved through mediation or must go to trial.
At The Virga Law Firm, P.A., our team has developed a statewide reputation as fierce advocates for Orlando residents who are navigating divorce.
Our Orlando divorce attorneys are uniquely positioned to handle multiple kinds of divorce cases, including:
We understand that every divorce is different, and work to provide all our clients with a case strategy custom-tailored to their specific circumstances.
The divorce process is complex, and often contains other legal matters such as child custody battles and property division disputes. Our Orlando divorce lawyers will be by your side every step of the way, so you never feel lost or alone while we help you work through your divorce.
You deserve a divorce lawyer in Orlando, FL who will handle your case with care and compassion.
Contact us online or via phone at 407-512-0887 to schedule a consultation with our Orlando office today!