Supportive Counsel You Can Rely On

Changing Your Name After a Divorce

Dedicated Panama City Family Lawyer

Changing a last name can be the final act of closure for people going through a divorce. At times, individuals can feel as if they need to distance themselves from the past as much as possible, and a name change can aid in the feeling of a new start. However, if done incorrectly, a name change can have serious legal ramifications for you and your children. Before you take the first legal steps of the procedure, it's best to consult with a skilled divorce lawyer.

We understand how overwhelming the divorce process can be. Call us today at (800) 822-5170, and let us help guide you through the process!

The most effective way to change your name is to include it when you file your divorce. Typically, the filing forms will have an option for a name change, and this is by far the most cost effective way. If you did not change your name during the divorce process, you will most likely need to fill out the Florida Petition for Name Change. After your name is changed, you will then need to inform the DMV, Social Security, bank, friends, and any other important relationship in your life.

What about changing my child's name?

If the judge decides that the child will benefit from a name change, he or she will proceed to do so. It is important to note that a name change will do nothing to change custody or support agreements.

When a judge is considering if a change should occur, the following factors are taken into account:

  • The parent's relationship to the child
  • How long has the original name been attached to the child
  • The child's personal opinion
  • How a change might affect the relationship of either parent.

Depending on the history of your relationship with your ex-spouse, there will be a few legal procedures to take care of. During these times it's best to secure the help of skilled Panama City divorce attorneys in order to ensure that your rights are protected.

Need help in your divorce? Contact my firm today!

Trying to change your or your child's name after a divorce can seem daunting. Our firm has handled countless divorce cases in the Panama City area, and we are experienced in all facets of family law. Reach out to The Virga Law Firm, P.A. for empathetic and aggressive representation.

Recommended Reading:

Our firm is available to clients 24/7! Call (800) 822-5170 for a consultation.