Defending Your Peace of Mind Name Change

Supportive Counsel You Can Rely On

Pensacola Name Change Attorneys

Our Lawyers Can Help You Restore or Change Your Legal Name

In the state of Florida, having your name changed or restored can become an ordeal. You will have to file paperwork and your request may be denied or complicated by the court.

With our Pensacola family law attorneys at The Virga Law Firm, P.A., however, you can skip the struggle. 

Once we understand your situation, we will provide personalized support and help you through each step of getting your name changed – no matter how complex.

Why Change Your Name?

You may have a myriad of reasons for changing your name. Within Florida, some of the most common ones are:

  • Getting married
  • Getting divorced
  • Changing your child’s last name
  • Making your name easier to pronounce
  • Converting to a new religion
  • Transitioning to another gender

Fortunately, courts in Pensacola recognize name changes connected to divorce proceedings, name changes for minor children, and most other name changes for adults.

Changing Your Name After a Divorce

If you’d like to return to your maiden name or original last name after a divorce, the process is fairly simple. Our attorneys will simply alert the courts to your wishes during your divorce petition or include it as part of the final judgement.

Once your divorce is finalized, you will be able to have your name changed on your passport, at the DMV, and at the social security office.

In the event that your divorce is already finalized, and you are pursuing a name change after-the-fact, we can submit the appropriate paperwork on your behalf. You may have to submit fingerprints and undergo a background check.

Rest assured, our attorneys can help you through every step.

Changing Your Child’s Name

If you wish to change your child’s last name, you will have to petition the court. From there, the court will consider the best interests of your child and confirm or deny the name change.

In scenarios of adoption or divorce, your child’s name change can be decided within the existing case, as long as it is still active.

Either way, our attorneys can help you present your argument to the court.

Changing Your Name for Other Reasons

If your name change is not being pursued on behalf of your child or during divorce proceedings, you will have to prepare an entirely different legal action.

The state of Florida will require you to be fingerprinted and your criminal record will be explored. You will also be expected to attend a court hearing.

Overall, you will have to take 5 steps to legally change your name:

  1. File a Petition for Name Change (this step includes fingerprinting and your court hearing)
  2. Update your Social Security card
  3. Update your Florida driver’s license
  4. Update your passport
  5. Update your birth certificate

At The Virga Law Firm, P.A., we will be by your side every step of the way.

Introducing Yourself

The first step to changing your name could be a confidential consultation with our firm.

When you come in, make sure to bring the following information about yourself:

  • When and where you were born
  • Your mother’s maiden and married names
  • Your father’s full name(s)
  • Proof of residency in Florida and Escambia County
  • A list of previous name changes (if applicable)
  • Your occupation, employer’s name, and employment history
  • Information about any bankruptcy case(s) you may have filed
  • Your criminal record (if applicable)
  • Your reason from changing your name
  • A statement that the name change is being pursued for lawful purposes

As soon as we familiarize ourselves with your case, we can help you present this information to the state by filling out the proper paperwork on your behalf. We can also assist you in drafting your statement, which is required to demonstrate the legality of your name change.

Additionally, if you are having trouble compiling the information or evidence on the above list, our attorneys can help you gather it.

Get started! Call us at 800-822-5170 today.

  • “I will definitely be recommending to anyone I know that needs a child custody or divorce attorney!” - A Divorce Client
  • “If you are looking for an attorney who is professional, honest, knowledgeable and responsive to your needs, Gerard Virga meets such requirements.” - A Divorce Client
  • “He responded to my messages promptly and I never felt rushed when speaking with him in meetings and phone conversations.” - A Divorce Client
man and child hugging

Our Firm Gets Results

More Reasons to Hire Us:
  • Committed to Aggressive Representation
  • Same-Day Scheduling Available
  • 6 Locations Throughout Florida
  • Over 100 Years of Collective Experience