Defending Your Peace of Mind Name Change

Change Your Name in Florida

Contact Our Family Law Attorneys to Legally Conduct a Name Change

Our family law clients sometimes seek to change their name in the event of marital dissolution. The Virga Law Firm can help you implement this. Our Florida lawyers hold experience representing clients in name changing cases throughout the state.

The State Of Florida Will Grant Name Changes Under The Following Conditions:

  • A name change that correlates to marriage dissolution.
  • A name change that is in the best interests of a minor child.
  • A name change for an adult not related to any marriage dissolution.

Name Changes and Divorce

It is extremely common for a divorcing party to wish the restoration of their maiden name. The process lacks the complexity of other family law matters. By including your desire for a name change within the divorce petition, it will be included within final judgment. Like a marriage license, the final judgment allows you to legally change your name at both the social security and DMV office.

Name Change for a Minor Child

Also, name changes for the children are commonly sought. Our Florida attorneys assist clients with filing the necessary documentation in name change cases involving a minor child. As in other matters of family law, the best interests of the child remains the primary objective of the court. If found to be in the best interest of the child, the name change will be allowed.

Adult Name Changes Outside Divorce Proceedings

Not all name change requests relate to marriage dissolution proceedings. Adults can seek a name change, but they must submit an extensive petition. The party seeking change must undergo a background check and allow law enforcement to record their fingerprints. Both are prerequisites. We will submit your background check and fingerprint card with your petition.

Also, the petition must include additional pertinent information:

  • Place and date of birth.
  • Maiden name of mother.
  • Full name of father.
  • Proof of residency.
  • Previous name changes.
  • Occupation, employment location and previous employment.
  • Any bankruptcy filed previously.
  • Criminal history.
  • A statement pertaining to the lawful intention of the name change.

Our team of attorneys hold the experience you need into guide you through the process of changing your name. Call our office to schedule a consultation with a lawyer who can help.

  • “I will definitely be recommending to anyone I know that needs a child custody or divorce attorney!” - A Divorce Client
  • “If you are looking for an attorney who is professional, honest, knowledgeable and responsive to your needs, Gerard Virga meets such requirements.” - A Divorce Client
  • “He responded to my messages promptly and I never felt rushed when speaking with him in meetings and phone conversations.” - A Divorce Client
man and child hugging

Our Firm Gets Results

More Reasons to Hire Us:
  • Committed to Aggressive Representation
  • Same-Day Scheduling Available
  • 6 Locations Throughout Florida
  • Over 100 Years of Collective Experience