Defending Your Peace of Mind Temporary Custody

Supportive Counsel You Can Rely On

Navarre Temporary Custody Attorneys

Helping You when It Matters Most

Sometimes, non-parents want to acquire custody for a child. If you're a non-parent who wants custody, you need to file for a temporary custody order with the court.

At The Virga Law Firm, P.A., we'll usher you through the temporary custody process, helping you defend your rights and do what's best for the child in your custody case.

To schedule a consultation with our team or learn more about our other custody services, contact us online or via phone at (800) 822-5170.

What Is Temporary Custody?

If you file for temporary custody and the court rules in your favor, you'll gain parental rights for the child you're seeking temporary custody of. Getting temporary custody enables you to:

  • Help a child with school activities, such as attending parent-teacher meetings for them or enrolling the child in school;
  • Help the child receive medical treatment for a physical or mental condition, including obtaining medical records;
  • House the child in your home as if they are your biological child;
  • Make decisions regarding academic, behavioral, and parenting boundaries for the child.

Obtaining temporary custody can help you care for a child if their parents are incapable of doing so or cannot provide the child with the care they deserve.

If you intend to make the child a permanent family member, temporary custody can also help you care for the child while going through the adoption process. If you complete the adoption process successfully, you will have full parental rights.

Who Can File for Temporary Custody?

You can file for temporary custody if you are an extended family member within the third degree by blood or marriage. That means you can file a temporary custody order if you are the:

  • Niece or nephew;
  • Uncle or aunt;
  • Brother or sister;
  • Grandparent, or;
  • Great-grandparent;

Of one of the child's parents. Step-parents can also file for temporary custody if they are married to one of the child's parents and are not involved in a civil or criminal case against that parent.

To file for temporary custody, you must either have signed and notarized consent from the child's legal parents, or be caring for the child full-time as a substitute parent.

Our Navarre temporary custody attorneys will shoulder the burden of the temporary custody process for you, helping you file a petition for temporary custody and representing you in court with a case strategy tailored to your needs.

To schedule a consultation with our team, contact us online or via phone at (800) 822-5170.

  • “I will definitely be recommending to anyone I know that needs a child custody or divorce attorney!” - A Divorce Client
  • “If you are looking for an attorney who is professional, honest, knowledgeable and responsive to your needs, Gerard Virga meets such requirements.” - A Divorce Client
  • “He responded to my messages promptly and I never felt rushed when speaking with him in meetings and phone conversations.” - A Divorce Client
man and child hugging

Our Firm Gets Results

More Reasons to Hire Us:
  • Committed to Aggressive Representation
  • Same-Day Scheduling Available
  • 6 Locations Throughout Florida
  • Over 100 Years of Collective Experience