When Can I Modify My Time-Sharing Plans?

Dad and son having fun in their backyard on a sunny day

Divorce is a challenging experience, and even after spouses have agreed to the terms of their divorce, changes may still be necessary—particularly if one of the ex-spouses decides to relocate for work or other reasons. One of the components that might need to be changed is the time-sharing plan.

Keep reading to learn more about modifying time-sharing plans from the team at The Virga Law Firm, P.A..

Modification of a Time-Sharing Plan in Florida

In Florida, it's relatively straightforward to modify a time-sharing plan. The court must find that there has been "a substantial change in circumstances" before they will consider modifying an existing time-sharing plan. If both parties agree to make modifications, then it's easy enough for them (or their attorneys) to draft an agreement and submit it to the court. However, suppose only one party desires a modification. In that case, they must file a Motion of Modification with the court and offer evidence that there has indeed been a substantial change in circumstances warranting modification of the existing plan.

Examples of Changes That May Warrant Modification

There are many instances where changes in circumstances may warrant a modification to an existing time-sharing plan. The most common would be job relocation due to employment opportunities or family reasons. Another example is when one parent begins using illegal drugs or alcohol, which could impact their ability to care for their children. It is important to note that these are merely examples; anything affecting one or both parents' abilities to care for their children could qualify as grounds for modifying an existing time-sharing arrangement.

The Virga Law Firm, P.A. is a Team You Can Trust

If you are considering relocating or changes in your life impact your ability (or your ex-spouse's ability) to care for your children, you should consider whether modifying your time-sharing agreement would benefit everyone involved—including your children.

While navigating through the legal process required for modification can be stressful, with proper representation from experienced family law professionals like The Virga Law Firm, P.A., you can rest easy knowing that your rights will always be protected and represented with zeal and precision! With our help, you can focus on what truly matters: providing your child with optimal physical and emotional support during this challenging transition period.

Do you feel as though it is time to modify your time-sharing agreement? Contact the team at The Virga Law Firm, P.A. at (800) 822-5170 if you have any questions about this process.

Related Posts
  • High-Conflict Divorce Cases Read More
  • Social Media & Divorce Read More
  • Creating New Traditions: A Guide to Navigating Post-Divorce Holidays with Your Children Read More