Guardianships Supportive Counsel You Can Rely On

Guardianship Lawyer in Orlando, FL

Call the Virga Law Firm, P.A. – 407-512-0887

When a minor is no longer under the loving care or appropriate guidance of their parents, a third party with interests in the child’s wellbeing can petition to become their legal guardian. People can also ask to become a guardian of an adult with a severe mental or physical debilitation that makes it difficult or impossible for them to care for themselves in day-to-day living. In Florida law, the petitioner asks to be a guardian or warden for a specific ward.

Convincing a court you should be granted guardianship over a minor or disabled adult can be an uphill battle that requires a sound knowledge of Florida’s guardianship laws. Give yourself solid footing on which to begin your case by working with The Virga Law Firm, P.A. and our guardianship lawyers in Orlando, FL. With more than 80 years of collective legal experience and a focus on client satisfaction, we have become the trusted name in family law casework throughout the region.

Discuss how to establish or maintain guardianship by contacting our team now.

Details of Guardianships in Florida

Voluntary guardianships in Florida are used when the petitioner wants to become the guardian of a minor or a disabled adult. This situation will require some convincing for the court to accept the petition, as assigning someone new to act as a parent or caretaker is a huge responsibility. For the most part, the court will prefer to give guardianship to a relative or trusted family friend but these are not the only options.

Someone can volunteer to become a guardian of a child if:

  • The child’s parents both pass away.
  • The child’s parents both become incarcerated.
  • Both of the child’s parents become physically or mentally incapacitated.
  • A court deems both of the child’s parents unsuitable for raising a child.

An involuntary guardianship may occur when the court initiates the guardianship process, or an interested third party claims the ward is no longer capable of managing their personal and financial affairs due to incapacity. This legal situation may unfold when a minor has no viable parents or a disabled adult has no current guardian but no one steps forth to volunteer. A Florida family law court will review potential candidates based on the same standards it would use when evaluating a volunteer and make the assignment. Someone chosen for involuntary guardianship may have an opportunity to argue their way out of the responsibility.

After a guardian is officially appointed, they will receive the following duties and more:

  • Deciding medical treatment for the ward.
  • Choosing the ward’s place of residence.
  • Applying for government benefits for the ward.
  • Represent the ward in court or begin lawsuits for the ward.

Orlando’s First Name in Family Law Representation

Come to The Virga Law Firm, P.A. and get your questions and concerns about guardianship answered by a legal team you can trust to uphold your best interests. We make ourselves available to our clients around-the-clock since we know the last thing you need is a delay when seeking legal guidance.

Call 407-512-0887 at your first opportunity and discuss your case with our Orlando guardianship attorneys. We can review establishing, maintaining, and contesting guardianship during an initial consultation.

  • Best Divorce Lawyer In Orlando
  • Top 10 Family Law Law Firm
  • Attorney Top 40 Under 40
  • Best of Bay
  • The National Advocates
  • Super Lawyers Rising Star
  • Lawyers of Distinction 2018
  • The National Trial Lawyers | Top 100 Trial Lawyers
  • Avvo Rating 10.0 Superb
  • The National Trial Lawyers | Top 100 Lawyers
  • 10 Best by American Institute of Family Law Attorneys | 2016
  • “I will definitely be recommending to anyone I know that needs a child custody or divorce attorney!”

    - A Divorce Client
  • “If you are looking for an attorney who is professional, honest, knowledgeable and responsive to your needs, Gerard Virga meets such requirements.”

    - A Divorce Client
  • “He responded to my messages promptly and I never felt rushed when speaking with him in meetings and phone conversations.”

    - A Divorce Client
  • “He answered in a way that helped me understand the law better.”

    - A Divorce Client
  • “Gerard is smarter than 95% of people I know, including lawyers. His intelligence combined with his work ethic make him an extremely effective advocate. Gerard is the kind of evil genius I'd want on my ...”

    - Adam Ellis, Litigation Lawyer
  • “Truly he is one of the smartest people I have met. I have found Gerard very knowledgeable on law and legal procedure, and am extremely impressed by his ability to devise and execute an aggressive ...”

    - Rusty Shepard, Criminal Defense Attorney
  • “This lawyer treated me with professionalism, and fought for my case. His staff was excellent and Mr. Virga had an excellent understanding of the law. Mr. Virga also was a very real person, and not ...”

    - A Divorce Client
  • “I regularly refer family law and civil litigation cases to Mr. Virga because of his skill and knowledge of those areas of law. The clients I refer to Mr. Virga are always satisfied with and ...”

    - Joseph Turner, Criminal Defense Attorney
  • “Mr. Virga represented me in a litigation matter. Mr. Virga not only accepted me as a client, but he took my case to heart. Mr. Virga developed and executed a masterful legal strategy that pummeled my ...”

    - A Litigation Client

Contact Our Firm

We're Here To Help You And Your Family In Any Way Possible
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.