Supportive Counsel You Can Rely On

Establishing Legal Guardianships

Panama City Beach Family Lawyers Available 24/7 at (800) 822-5170

At The Virga Law Firm, P.A., we understand that raising a child is a huge responsibility, and a minor child’s biological parents may not be the best caregivers. In these instances, Florida law allows for a legal guardian to provide care for a loved one.

You may volunteer to become the legal guardian of a child in the following scenarios:

  • Both parents have died.
  • Both parents are incarcerated.
  • Both parents are physically or mentally incapacitated.
  • Family court deems both parents unsuitable for raising their child.

It can be difficult to convince the court you should be appointed as a legal guardian, which means you must secure legal representation from a skilled family law attorney in Panama City Beach. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.

Details of Florida Guardianship Laws

Guardianships differ from adoptions, because the legal responsibilities given to a guardian may be partial or only temporary. The parental rights of the biological parents may be reinstated, whereas adoption would strip parental rights from the biological parent. Limited guardianship may be appropriate if the ward only needs assistance in certain aspects of their life.

Under Florida law, a legal guardian is permitted to do the following:

  • Decide medical treatments for their ward.
  • Make schooling choices for the ward.
  • Choose the place of residence for their ward.
  • Apply for government benefits on behalf of the ward.
  • Represent the ward in any court matters, including beginning lawsuits on their behalf.

Contact Our Guardianship Lawyers in Panama City Beach

Do you have questions regarding legal guardianships in Florida? Contact our family law attorneys at The Virga Law Firm, P.A. to find out how we can help you. We are committed to assisting clients through every step of the legal process and ensuring your rights are protected.

Call (800) 822-5170 today to request a case evaluation with our family law attorneys at The Virga Law Firm, P.A., or contact us online here.