Michael Ray Goodson is a distinguished Attorney and Counselor at Law at The Virga Law Firm, P.A. An Orlando native, Michael studied Psychology and Music Performance at the University of Florida. He later studied Family Law and Criminal law at the University of Florida Levin College of Law. After graduation, Michael worked as an Assistant State Attorney in Panama City, where he was able to help victims and their families who were affected by crime. He later joined the team at The Virga Law Firm, P.A., where he now practices criminal defense and family law. Additionally, Michael is a Florida Supreme Court Certified Family Law Mediator.
When handling family law cases, Michael’s goal is to try to understand his clients’ backgrounds and what brought them to seek legal counsel. He understands that most family law issues are multi-faceted and can be resolved in multiple ways, and therefore strives to achieve his client’s goals in as efficient a manner as possible. This allows him to deliver outstanding results to his clients while minimizing the cost, time, and effect on them and their families.
“I take the time to listen to my clients,” Michael says of his approach. “Family law cases are never simple, and are rarely about just one legal issue. I try to listen to both what a person is saying as well as how they are saying it.”
Community involvement is important to Michael, who is on the board of directors for the Downtown Panama City Kiwanis Club, a global organization of volunteers dedicated to improving the world one child and one community at a time. He also assists his wife, Erin, who is a member of the Junior League of Panama City, in fundraising and charitable endeavors.
In his spare time, Michael enjoys fishing, kayaking, enjoying Northwest Florida’s world-famous beaches, and spending time with his wife. He is also an avid golfer.
- Juris Doctor, Cum Laude – University of Florida (2014)
- Master of Music in Instrumental Performance – University of Florida (2011)
- Bachelor of Music in Instrumental Performance, Cum Laude – University of Florida (2009)
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology, Magna cum Laude – University of Florida (2009)
Awards & Recognitions
Awards & Recognitions
- American Institute of Legal Advocates Rising Star - 2017
- Book Award in Trial Practice – UF College of Law
- Book Award in Interviewing, Counseling, and Negotiation – UF College of Law
- Florida Bar
- Bay County Bar Association
- Florida Bar Family Law Section Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee
- Florida Bar Young Lawyers Division
- Florida Bar Family Law Section
- Florida Bar Criminal Law Section
- St. Andrews Bay Inns of Court
- Florida Supreme Court Certified Family Law Mediator