Divorce FAQ Supportive Counsel You Can Rely On

Destin Divorce FAQ

Get Answers from Experienced Attorneys

At The Virga Law Firm, P.A., our team of seasoned legal professionals understand how hard it can be to navigate the divorce process alone. This is why our lawyers are here to handle every aspect of your divorce to ensure you obtain a fair case result. Below, we answer some of the common questions our clients ask us about getting divorced.

Question: How should I prepare for my divorce?

A: Once you know you want to leave your spouse, you need to start setting money aside. The first thing you should do is open a separate bank account, this way your ex won’t be able to access your money. If you have any joint accounts with your ex, make sure you close them. Create a spreadsheet to track your finances and make copies of important financial documents, such as credit card statements, pay stubs, and tax returns.

Question: Is there a difference between legal separation and divorce?

A: When a couple legally separates, they are still married under the law, but live in separate households. The couple still goes through the formal process of determining child custody, visitation, child support, and spousal support arrangements if they decide to separate. Couples who have legally separated can choose to get divorced at a later time.

Question: What should I do if my spouse doesn’t pay child support or alimony?

A: If your spouse is refusing to pay child support or alimony, you can petition the court for back child support that will be taken directly from the paying parent’s wages. Our attorneys can help you obtain a wage withholding order from the court or child support enforcement agency.

Question: Is the divorce process different for same-sex divorces?

A: In 2015, Florida courts ruled that a refusal to acknowledge same-sex divorce requests is a violation of equal protection provisions contained in the U.S. Constitution.

Question: What should I do if I’m being harassed by my spouse?

A: If your ex’s actions are violent or extreme, you need to immediately call the police. In the state of Florida, there is a process to obtain a restraining order without notifying your spouse of your efforts.

Speak To A Lawyer at The Virga Law Firm, P.A.

Do you need help with your divorce case? Stop by our office today to discuss your situation with our skilled legal team. We can build a strong legal strategy to protect your interests, and we will fight to make sure your divorce agreement is fair. Our attorneys are prepared to get to work for you.

Call (800) 822-5170 to get more answers to your divorce questions from one of the lawyers at our Destin office.

  • Best Divorce Lawyer In Orlando
  • Top 10 Family Law Law Firm
  • Attorney Top 40 Under 40
  • Best of Bay
  • The National Advocates
  • Super Lawyers Rising Star
  • Lawyers of Distinction 2018
  • The National Trial Lawyers | Top 100 Trial Lawyers
  • Avvo Rating 10.0 Superb
  • The National Trial Lawyers | Top 100 Lawyers
  • 10 Best by American Institute of Family Law Attorneys | 2016
  • “I will definitely be recommending to anyone I know that needs a child custody or divorce attorney!”

    - A Divorce Client
  • “If you are looking for an attorney who is professional, honest, knowledgeable and responsive to your needs, Gerard Virga meets such requirements.”

    - A Divorce Client
  • “He responded to my messages promptly and I never felt rushed when speaking with him in meetings and phone conversations.”

    - A Divorce Client
  • “He answered in a way that helped me understand the law better.”

    - A Divorce Client
  • “Gerard is smarter than 95% of people I know, including lawyers. His intelligence combined with his work ethic make him an extremely effective advocate. Gerard is the kind of evil genius I'd want on my ...”

    - Adam Ellis, Litigation Lawyer
  • “Truly he is one of the smartest people I have met. I have found Gerard very knowledgeable on law and legal procedure, and am extremely impressed by his ability to devise and execute an aggressive ...”

    - Rusty Shepard, Criminal Defense Attorney
  • “This lawyer treated me with professionalism, and fought for my case. His staff was excellent and Mr. Virga had an excellent understanding of the law. Mr. Virga also was a very real person, and not ...”

    - A Divorce Client
  • “I regularly refer family law and civil litigation cases to Mr. Virga because of his skill and knowledge of those areas of law. The clients I refer to Mr. Virga are always satisfied with and ...”

    - Joseph Turner, Criminal Defense Attorney
  • “Mr. Virga represented me in a litigation matter. Mr. Virga not only accepted me as a client, but he took my case to heart. Mr. Virga developed and executed a masterful legal strategy that pummeled my ...”

    - A Litigation Client

Contact Our Firm

We're Here To Help You And Your Family In Any Way Possible
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.