Tallahassee LGBTQ+ Adoption Attorneys
Ushering You Through the Adoption Process
Many people assume the adoption process is relatively simple, but that's not always the case - especially for LGBTQ+ couples. If you intend to introduce a new family member into your life, understanding Florida adoption laws and the unique challenges LGBTQ+ couples sometimes face is essential.
At The Virga Law Firm, P.A., our Tallahassee LGBTQ+ adoption lawyers will work with you to find the best path forward in your case and make the process as efficient and streamlined as we possibly can.
To schedule a new consultation with our team, contact us onlineor via phone at (850) 307-5211.
Understanding Different Types of Adoption in FL
Most people choose to adopt a child in one of three ways:
- Foster care adoption. In a foster care adoption, the prospective parents work with their state's foster care system to adopt a child.
- Private adoption. In a private adoption, prospective parents work with a private adoption agency to adopt a child.
- International adoption. In international adoption, prospective parents work with US Citizenship and Immigration Services (UCIS) to adopt a child from a different country.
Different types of adoption may be more or less suited to your (and your partner's if you have one) needs.
For example, it may be easier to adopt an infant through private adoption than foster care. Alternatively, working with your state's foster care system can give you a more straightforward path towards finalizing the adoption.
Most adoptions require parents to take similar steps, including:
- Providing adoption professionals with relevant documentation about you, your capabilities as a parent, why you wish to engage in the adoption process, etc.
- Interviews with the prospective adoptee to ensure you're a good fit.
- Lessons for the prospective parents to help them learn what to expect from an adoptive child and welcome the child into their home effectively.
- A home study conducted by adoption professionals to determine whether your home is safe for the adoptee and a good environment for them.
- Finalizing the adoption with a court to obtain the necessary documentation and ensure the adoption is legally binding.
LGBTQ+ Adoption in Florida
In Flordia, LGBTQ+ couples can adopt a child in one of three ways:
- Single parent adoption. In a single parent adoption, one LGBTQ+ individual can adopt a child through a private agency or the Florida Department of Children and Families (DCF).
- Joint parent adoption. If two LGBTQ+ individuals wish to adopt a child together, and both be named as that child's parents, they must file for a joint parent adoption.
- Second parent adoption. A second parent adoption can enable an LGBTQ+ individual's partner to adopt a child without terminating the other parent's legal rights. LGTBQ+ individuals can use this option to help a parent who entered a child's life post-birth gain legal parental rights.
Unfortunately, LGBTQ+ adoptions can be more complicated than a normal adoption for various reasons. For example, laws surrounding adoption commonly change, making it challenging to know the best path forward in your case. Additionally, prospective LGBTQ+ parents may face unique difficulties when working with a private agency or using international adoption to adopt a child from certain countries.
At The Virga Law Firm, P.A., we'll work with you to finalize your adoption effectively and easily.
To schedule a consultation with our Tallahassee LGBTQ+ adoption lawyers, contact us online or via phone at (850) 307-5211.