Destin Equitable Distribution Lawyers
Helping Clients in Florida Keep Their Assets
Dividing assets fairly among spouses can be one of the most challenging aspects of a divorce case. The term “equitable distribution” refers to the fair division of resources and debt between a couple that is seeking divorce. Many people assume that this means the couple will split their assets 50-50, however, this is not actually the case. Courts review a number of factors to determine how assets should be distributed among spouses. Although this might seem straight forward, a number of issues and legal disputes can potentially arise during this part of the divorce process.
Our team in Destin can help you address the following issues in your equitable distribution case:
- Uncovering hidden assets
- Proving waste of assets
- Proving your assets have been undervalued
- Proving an assets was purposefully overpriced
The following things are subject to equitable distribution:
- Assets that were jointly acquired during the marriage
- Non-marital assets that increased in value due to spousal efforts
- Personal property held in joint title
- Assets that were gifted during the marriage
- Joint bank accounts
- Retirement benefits
How Does Equitable Distribution Work?
All of the assets that a couple owns are thoroughly evaluated and separated into marital and non-marital property. The court will review how the assets were acquired, and determine which spouse is liable for specific debts. After the court classifies everything, it will distribute the property accordingly.
Courts review the following things to decide which spouse will be awarded specific assets:
- The contributions each spouse made to the marriage
- The length of the marriage
- The financial circumstances of both parties
- Whether one spouse contributed to the personal career or educational opportunity of the other spouse
Speak to Our Legal Team Today
At The Virga Law Firm, P.A., our team of skilled lawyers are here to assist with all matters related to your divorce. We will review the details of your case and build a strong legal strategy that will ensure your interests are fully protected. We have more than 80 years of combined legal knowledge, and we are prepared to use our extensive resources to pursue a fair case result. Let us get to work for you today.
Call (800) 822-5170 to request a consultation with an attorneys at our Destin office.