Destin Alimony Lawyers
Attorneys for Alimony Issues in Destin, FL
Alimony is defined as financial support paid from one spouse to another following a divorce. In most cases, the court will analyze the income and economic standing of both people involved in the divorce to determine which party is most in need of alimony and which party is in a better position to pay it.
Alimony claims play a large part in many divorce cases, with the court often looking at various factors to determine whether alimony payment is justified.
Some of these factors include:
- Marital assets and non-marital assets
- Standard of living during the marriage
- Length of the marriage
- Educational history/employability of both parties
- Expenses on the part of the individual seeking alimony
In the state of Florida, alimony claims may be held up based on any/all of these factors. A statute from 2010 further breaks down alimony claims into six categories.
The six types of alimony in the state of Florida are:
- Temporary Alimony: This type of alimony awards funds to help the seeking party pay bills during the divorce.
- Bridge the Gap Alimony: This type of alimony is awarded to seeking parties as they make the adjustment from married to single life.
- Lump Sum Alimony: This type of alimony is a non-adjustable, pre-agreed upon amount deposited in a single payment or in several installments. Lump sum alimony also requires the seeking party to have a plan for becoming self-sufficient.
- Durational Alimony: This type of alimony offers the seeking party compensation for a set period of time in cases where the length of the marriage was short. The period over which the alimony is paid out may not exceed the length of the marriage.
- Permanent Periodic Alimony: This type of alimony is awarded to the seeking party to uphold the standard of living they became accustomed to during the marriage. It generally lasts until one party dies or the seeking party is remarried.
Call a Destin Alimony Attorney Today – (850) 203-5405
At The Virga Law Firm, P.A., we are committed to representing the people of Destin in a wide range of alimony claims. We know that divorce can be difficult to navigate, which is why we offer compassionate and thorough legal support during every step of the process. Our alimony attorneys in Destin, FL will make sure you get the alimony support you need, and that your divorce is resolved as quickly and painlessly as possible.