Divorce is one of the most emotionally charged legal matters you’ll ever endure. As such, it can be difficult to keep a level head, and many people fail to act in their own best interests. Our experienced Panama City divorce attorney can help you understand the things you should do, and the things you should not do during a divorce.
Things You Should Do
The most important thing you should do is contact a skilled divorce attorney. This is the very first step you should take even if you haven’t decided to get a divorce yet. An experienced lawyer will work hard to protect your best interests and can give you the legal support you need during this trying time.
Other things you should do include:
- Collect records and other documentation
- Look for debt or assets your spouse may be hiding
- Document all of your possessions and assets
- Consider the potential tax consequences of divorce and alimony
- Seek counseling if you’re struggling with emotions
- Attempt to make life as normal as possible for your children
Things You Should Not Do
While there are valuable steps to take during a divorce, it’s equally important to consider the things you should not be doing. Keep in mind that this list is a small fraction of the actions that would be inadvisable or harmful during a divorce. When children are involved, it becomes much more important to avoid actions that may harm your child emotionally.
Make sure you:
- Don’t attempt to hide property or assets. They will only hurt you in the long run.
- Don’t use your child as a therapist, spy, or sounding board. It is unfair to unload your emotional burden on them, and they are not equipped to handle it.
- Don’t make impulsive decisions based on emotion. Trust the counsel of your attorney.
- Don’t act in a hostile manner. While it’s easier said than done, fighting over petty things will only cost you more in legal fees.
Getting Divorced? Call The Virga Law Firm Today.
At The Virga Law Firm, P.C., our skilled Panama City divorce lawyer has more than a decade of experience in family law cases. When you hire our firm, you can expect compassionate counsel tailored toward your best interests.
Call our experienced family law firm today at (850) 257-7086 for seasoned counsel.